A visit to Chenier Fine Arts will enrich your day and lift your spirits!
Chenier Fine Arts was established in 2007 by Debra Chenier and showcases exceptional quality artworks by emerging and established Canadian artists who exhibit nationally and internationally. The diverse collection showcases over 300 original artworks by more than 50 artists. The gallery offers an impressive variety of contemporary art styles and subject matter including modern, traditional, abstract, figurative and landscape. Every artist represented has developed a style that is recognizably unique to themselves. The gallery specializes in large format paintings but carries various sizes of artworks and mediums that include paintings, original prints, sculpture, and ceramics.
Services We Offer
- Custom Framing – We offer hundreds of high-quality frames and mats and will work with you to find the perfect design for your artwork.
- In-Home/Office Art Consultation – We will bring artwork to try in your home or office along with suggestions and samples for framing.
- Free Local Home Delivery and Installation Service
- Art on Approval – We know that purchasing artwork is very personal and we encourage you to take art home and live with it in your space. All of our works are available on approval for 7 days.
- Layaway – To encourage first-time art buyers to start their collection of original Canadian art we offer payment plans on a case by case basis.
- To facilitate an informed online purchase and customer satisfaction we are happy to send, upon request, photos of the artwork in various lighting and at different angles.
Debra Chenier is a second generation Fine Art dealer who also does custom framing using curated, specialty frames from Canada, Europe and the United States.
From the age of six, Debra was immersed in the family passion of original fine art and creative custom framing. She remembers fondly the scent of freshly mitred wood moulding that her father cut and then joined into custom picture frames. In the living room of the family home, the scent of oil paintings and varnishes from newly opened shipments of paintings signalled her mother’s next launch of a new collection of artwork. This was ever an exciting time, vividly remembered. These twinned experiences of art and framing were to become her lifelong passion. Then In 1964, her parents, Jean and Denis Chenier, opened the Gallery of Fine Arts, North Western Ontario’s first fine art and custom framing gallery. In 1980, Debra received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of Alberta, with a Major in Printmaking.
After many years of working in related fields, in 2007, Debra opened her fine art gallery/ frame shop in The Waterfront District, in her hometown of Thunder Bay. In 2017 Chenier Fine Arts relocated 2 doors south to a bright, 2500 sq. ft. renovated storefront in the historic Ruttan Block.
Duncan Weller is a writer and visual artist, known for his award winning children’s picture books and art shows. Before returning to Thunder Bay, Duncan worked as a picture framer for fifteen years in Toronto, Victoria and North Vancouver. He’s bringing his expertise to the Chenier Gallery, setting up a stocked picture framing shop. His knowledge of art and framing will be a great contribution to the team at Chenier Fine Arts.